With Halloween right around the corner, ESS Global, a D.O.E. approved safety consulting firm has some important Halloween safety tips.
Halloween Safety Tips 2016
Halloween brings fun and sweets to children, but those ghouls and goblins are not the things to be afraid about. Accidents and mishaps increase dramatically on Halloween night. For instance, children are more than twice as likely to be struck and killed by a car on Halloween than any other day of the year.
Halloween Safety Tips
Trick or Treating
- Plan your route in advance – stick to areas both you and your children are familiar with. Keep your head on a swivel.
- Stay well lit – carry glow sticks and flashlights. Be sure you can see your path. Be sure you can be seen by motorists.
- Don’t trip up – Make sure costumes don’t touch the ground. Long costumes that drag on the ground can be dangerous, especially at night.
- Avoid masks that impede sight!
- Stay in groups – bring friends, stay in groups and never send younger children out alone.
- Be sure children do not approach any vehicle, occupied or not, unless you are with them.
- Put electronic devices down and keep heads up and walk, don’t run. Use crosswalks and traffic signals.
- Watch out for open flames in jack-o-lanterns.
- Teach children to never dart out into the street or cross between parked cars.
- Always walk younger children to the door to receive treats, and…
- Never enter the home of a stranger.
- Slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods. Children are excited on Halloween and can move in unpredictable ways.
- Enter and exit driveways slowly and carefully.
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections.
- Drive slowly, anticipate heavy pedestrian traffic and turn your headlights on earlier in the day.
- It’s a popular night for adult parties – While no night is good for drinking and driving, this is especially true tonight!
By taking the time to plan ahead and using these Halloween safety tips, you can ensure you and your children, as well as others, have a happy, healthy, and safe Halloween.
“As the only training facility in Florida to be licensed by the US Department of Education, ESS Global Corporation provides education, training and consulting for commercial endeavors, government entities and the general public solely designed to enhance the safety and security of our communities. Our partnerships promote an unrelenting devotion to high standards of duty and courage. ESS Global Corporation accomplishes this mission through an unwavering dedication to deliver comprehensive security services to the communities we value and serve.”