Halloween Safety Tips 2018 – ESS Global, a safety consulting firm has some important Halloween safety tips in 2018.
Halloween Safety Tips 2018
Halloween brings parties, fun and sweets to children, but those little ghouls and goblins are not the only things to be afraid about on Halloween. Accidents and mishaps increase dramatically on Halloween night.
For instance, children are more than twice as likely to be struck and killed by a car on Halloween than any other day of the year.
Halloween Safety Tips 2018 – Trick or Treating
- Plan your route in advance – stick to areas both you and your children are familiar with. Keep your head on a swivel.
- Stay well lit – carry glow sticks and flashlights. Be sure you can see your path. Consider reflective tape. Be sure you can be seen by motorists.
- Don’t trip up – Make sure costumes don’t touch the ground. Long costumes that drag on the ground can be dangerous, especially at night.
- Avoid masks that impede sight!
- Stay in groups – bring friends, stay in groups and this bears repeating – never send younger children out alone.
- Be sure children do not approach any vehicle, occupied or not, unless you are with them.
- Put your cell phones down and keep your heads up. Walk, don’t run. Use crosswalks and traffic signals.
- Watch out for open flames in those jack-o-lanterns sitting on porches.
- Teach children to never dart out into the street or cross between parked cars.
- Always walk younger children all the way to the door to receive treats, and…
- Never allow your children to enter the home of a stranger.
And it’s not just taking you kids out for some fun at twilight, you must be vigilant all day. The children are all wound up just walking home from school, even walking to school. Don’t be distracted while driving. Stay focused.
Halloween Safety Tips 2018 – Driving
- Slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods. Children are excited on Halloween and can move in unpredictable ways.
- Enter and exit driveways slowly and carefully.
- Take extra time to look for children at intersections.
- Drive slowly, anticipate heavy pedestrian traffic.
- Turn your headlights on earlier in the day.
- It’s a popular night for adult parties – While no night during the year is good for drinking and driving, this is especially true tonight!
Halloween Safety Tips 2018 – Around the House
- Be smart about decorations placement – And don’t overload electrical outlets.
- Set up those spooky candles with care – Try to use battery operated candles as pets and children can knock things over. And have a fire extinguisher handy.
- Make your doorway safe – Make sure that driveways and walkways are cleaned up and well maintained. Make sure everything is well lit.
Halloween Safety Tips 2018 – Adult Parties – Safety Tips for Women
- Don’t let your guard down. Halloween is not an excuse to throw caution to the wind. Keep an eye on your belongings (that includes your drink!)
- Dress appropriately. We love sexy Halloween costumes, but you don’t want to attract unwanted attention. Cover up as you go to and from parties, and make sure you’re able to move easily in your costume (in case you need to make a quick getaway). Which leads us to…
- Stay in groups. You may be dressed like Wonder Woman, but that doesn’t mean you have superhero powers. Stick with your friends to prevent being in alone in an unsafe situation and check in with one another at the end of the night to make sure you all get home safe and sound.
- Have a safety net. If you find yourself separated from friends in unfamiliar territory (it’s a night to stay on the beaten path) have a back-up plan, or call a trusted friend. If you feel unsafe for any reason – keep your phone handy and don’t be afraid to call 911 if a threatening situation develops.
By taking the time to plan ahead and using these Halloween safety tips, you can ensure you and your children, as well as others, have a happy, healthy, and safe Halloween.
“As the only security training facility in Florida to be licensed by the Department of Education, ESS Global Corporation provides education, training and consulting for commercial endeavors, government entities and the general public solely designed to enhance the safety and security of our communities. Our partnerships promote an unrelenting devotion to high standards of duty and courage. ESS Global Corporation accomplishes this mission through an unwavering dedication to deliver comprehensive security services to the communities we value and serve.”
or email firstname.lastname@example.org