Security - JaynieIf you are thinking of carrying a weapon (legally), then it should be no surprise that formal training is highly recommended.
A course is required in many states to receive a Concealed Weapon Permit (CWP)/Concealed Carry Permit (CCP). The overall purpose of this class is to assure that the issuing state that people who obtain carry permits have been exposed to the state laws governing concealed carry and are minimally capable of using a gun safely. There are basic gun handling classes, armed self-defense classes, tactical training, and courses designed to train the occasional shooter to the competitive shooter.
Along with a CWP/CCP class, a basic “introduction to firearms” class is recommended as the place to start.
You will have to check your area for your local options. Gun stores, gun shows, and shooting ranges are good places to start.  ESS recommends that you choose a school that is licensed by the US Department of Education.  In Florida, that would be ESS, as we are the only DOE licensed shooting school in Florida.  We do also recommend that you visit in person to get a good sense of the professionalism and quality of our facilities. Your local police department can offer you some direction as well.
Try to find one that offers a variety of courses, with highly experienced instructors and perhaps one that offers classes for activities other than shooting.  Some of the skills to develop through ESS firearm instruction are:

  • Safely manipulate a firearm
  • Reload quickly and safely
  • Shoot accurately
  • Shoot quickly
  • Draw from a holster
  • Multiple targets
  • One-handed shooting
  • Moving targets
  • Moving while shooting
  • Working in low light

If you are a first-time gun owner, or you are an experienced marksman, we welcome your visit to ESS.